Young toddlers can sometimes be the hardest to entertain. Which is why I am always trying to find easy activities for toddlers.They have short attention spans and are not quite able to keep themselves busy most of the time. This can cause a problem when we are cooking dinner or needing to get something else done.
I don’t know about you but the hour or so before we eat dinner is what I affectionately call the “witching hour”, it is usually the time when my kids simultaneously melt down. So one of my parenting tricks I like to pull out of my hat is to set them up with simple activities that will keep their interest before I start dinner, so that I can cook without having two screaming banshees hanging on my leg.
10 Easy Toddler Activities to Keep them Occupied While you get Something Done:
1.Basket or bowl full of random kitchen item. I don’t know what it is about household things but they keep my kids attention more than their toys a majority of the time. Just grab them and let them play with them.
2. A box. It is a joke in our house that our kids don’t need toys for Christmas, all they need is a box. I don’t know what it is about the box but they come up with such imaginative ways to play with it. So you can give them just a box or crayons to draw on the box or you could give them this kitchen tools and let them bang on the box. Regardless, you will be amazed what a simple box can be used for.
3. Cut up some pipe cleaner and give them an empty spice container and let them put the pipe cleaner through the holes. Bonus- it is a great fine motor activity. Score!
4. Colander and Pipe Cleaner. This is a great one because it is a awesome fine motor activity!
5. Pom Poms in a water bottle. I love this one because it is one that the younger toddlers like and even my preschooler loves it.
6. Mini Sensory Bin. This one is on the messy side but put them on a mess mat (I use an plastic shower curtain liner) and this will keep them busy for a long time!
7. Cup Towers. Like boxes, my kids come up with such creative uses for plastic cups.
8. Water Play. Put a bit of water in a bowl with some measuring cups and spoon and put them on a towel and you have a super fun activity that will definitely keep their attention!
9. Pots and Pans Drums- Give them a few pots and some spatulas and let them bang away. This is a classic!